How to Measure Your Body – Men’s Size Guide
It includes all of the sizes you will need including how to measure chest size, neck, waist, sleeve, inner leg, outer leg and your back.
With online fashion sales now booming, its important to know what your measurement sizes are to make sure you get the right size first time.
How to Measure Your Size
1 How to measure your collar –
For me, this is really important if you need to get the right shirt size.
There is nothing worse than having a poor fitting shirt with a tie that is strangling you all day. Simply measure around the base of your neck and ensure you take the correct measurement.
The average adult male neck size is about 15 inches (38.1 cm).
If you want to see more male grooming tips then check out our Men’s Grooming Guide and Tips (2021)
2 How to measure your sleeve –
Always make sure your arm is fully stretched out before taking this measurement. Measure from the collar, down the shoulders and along the outer side of your arm.
3 How to measure your chest size-
Chest measurements are fairly easy to take as long as you keep the tape measure tightened around the chest. To measure your chest size, is not that difficult to do.
The average chest size for adult men is about 40 inches (101.6 cm). However, this can differ based on factors like genetics, exercise habits, and body composition.
So the best way to get an accurate measurement is to measure around the fullest part of the chest. Feed the measuring tape under your arms and make sure you go all the way around to the other side.
4 How to measure your waist –
This is probably the easiest to measure as its simply the measurement around your natural waistline.
To measure your waist accurately, you can follow these steps:
- Find a Flexible Measuring Tape: You’ll need a flexible measuring tape, typically used for sewing or body measurements.
- Stand Up Straight: Stand up straight with your feet together and your arms at your sides.
- Locate Your Waist: Your natural waistline is generally the narrowest part of your torso, usually located just above your belly button. It’s essential to measure at this point to get an accurate waist measurement.
- Take the Measurement: Hold one end of the measuring tape on your belly button and wrap it around your waist, keeping it parallel to the floor. Make sure the tape is snug but not too tight, and ensure it goes around your entire waistline.
- Read the Measurement: Look at the number on the measuring tape where it meets the starting end. This measurement represents the circumference of your waist.
- Take Multiple Measurements: For increased accuracy, it’s a good idea to take two or three measurements and use the average value.
- Record the Measurement: Note down the measurement in inches or centimeters, whichever unit you prefer.
When measuring your waist, avoid sucking in your stomach or pulling the measuring tape too tight, as this may give an inaccurate reading. For consistent results, try to measure your waist at the same time of day and under similar conditions each time.
5 How to measure your inside Leg –
This has been the butt of jokes for years but its really simple to take the right measurement. Measure from the top of the inside leg at your crotch to your ankle bone.
For more top tips, check out our How to make yourself look better.
6 How to measure your outside Leg –
This is another really simple measurement to take. Measure from your natural waistline to the hem, that’s it!
7 How to measure your centre back length –
This will definitely need some help from a partner or friend. Measure from the centre of the seam to the hem.
We hope you are now able to measure your body for all the main sizes including chest, sleeve and more. Our men’s size guide has videos to help, so we hope you were able to get all the measurements you required.
This Men’s Size Guide will hopefully cover all of the measurements men will need, but if you have any hacks or questions, please leave a comment below and we will do our best to answer your question.